Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Move More . . .


We have all heard it before. The phrase . . . Move More. It's good for you, they say. Well as of recently I have been trying to do just that.

I have always been active, ever since I was little. I was in dance class since age 3 or 4, took up riding horses at around age 12. Kept them both up until I went away to college when I was 20. In college I took a running class and kept that up for a while. Then I got married, had a gym membership for a long time. And then about the time kid #3 came around the only exercise I got was going up and down the stairs in our house.

So enter 2012 where some of my friends were talking about running a 5K that our church was running. So I joined them in their training efforts in April. We started off slow. And it was more like jog/walk for a while. And then I started running more frequently by myself. But then came the hot summer May/June months where it is so hot you can barely stay outside for even 5 minutes let alone go running.

July came around and we joined the gym. Best thing that could have happened. I started attending classes, going regularly, running on the treadmill. And I think the best part about it all was the child care. Yes, I could go and drop all of the kids off and have a free hour to myself. Although I was sweating, for that hour I was kid free !!

Anyways, I promise I am getting to the point. This past Saturday I ran my first "official " 5K !! I did it folks, and didn't do to bad if you ask me. It was fun. To have all those runners with you, to wear a number, and the best part was getting cheered on to the finish line by perfect strangers ( and your husband, thanks dear for being my cheerleader).

I don't neccesarily LOVE working out, but I have come to find out that it is not so bad. I feel better and I my pants are slowly fitting looser !! Yeah !! I can say that on the blog, right !! Oh and I love my Tuesday/Thursday Zumba classes. Remember when I mentioned I was a dancer. Well I love that I can dance, join in with others while working out, and get a GREAT workout, all at the same time. 

I wanted to share a few photos of our Saturday morning adventures.

I am not in the least a fast runner. But I did try to run my fastest time to date and I did. I did it 34 minutes flat. And that to me is a record. There were 19 of us in my age group and I turned out to be 6th out of the 19. Not that matters, but I was proud of myself. Here is me and my number. 


After the run the whole family had fun exploring the beautiful park and stream where the event was held. The kids had their swimsuits on and spent some time playing in the water.  I believe it was over 90 degrees already that day. It was 11:00 am.

Maddie collecting shells from the river.


Noah was to scared of the "GOO" (as Katelyn called it) that was in the bottom part of the river to go in. So he played on the rocks for a while.


Maddie finally found a clean part and coaxed him in and led him to good part of the stream.

 

Digging in the sand for "Treasures"


Here is the pile of "Treasures" that made their way home with us


Katelyn loved playing the "GOO" as she called it. She has always been the adventurous one, the one that will touch the bugs, and the gross stuff.


All in all it was a wonderful day that I will treasure. Later on that day we enjoyed our local football team from back home win over the in state rivals !! YEAH Go UTES !!

P.S. I am slowly working on my next PL week. I am about 3/4 of the way done. Hope to get it done soon. Have a great rest of the week if I don't catch up with you all.

1 comment:

libbywilko said...

Well done on training and participating in the 5km event! I think you can totally say that it's making your pants looser on the blog :) I've just started exercising regularly after having kids and I'm hoping to find the same thing and a general lifestyle change.